2011.1 SI re-installation in 2022. howto?

SimpleInvoices Group Forum Forums Fearless359 SimpleInvoices Discussion Group 2011.1 SI re-installation in 2022. howto?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lapi
    Participant

Hello everyone,

First of all, my wife has been very pleased with SI for a long time and could not contemplate trying any other invoicing system!
    A massive thank you for the people involved in its development!

A laptop, used as a server for SI 2011.1 which has been running 24/7 without a glitch for over 10 years under mint linux14 until now, is starting to have some HDD problems.

There are now about 1400 invoices in SI and it takes about 30seconds to refresh the list of invoices.
    The reports are no longer working: blank waiting page.

I guess it might be possible that the issues are a mix between hardware degradation as well as SI not coping with the increasing number of entries.

SI as it is now is virtually no longer usable.

I can’t rely on an upgrade on the existing machine and will probably have to somehow do a fresh re-installation on a healthier one and I have the impression that the new install and merging won’t be as straightforward as the first install was due to differences of PHP versions etc…

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some ideas regarding the best practical course of action to get back on track with SI.

RRowley
    Participant

If you want to deploy on another system with a version of PHP 7.4x, it shouldn’t be difficult provided you can get a full extract of your existing database. You can create a new database on the new system, upload the extracted contact. You will need to download the master_2019.2 version. Make sure this is the version you down load. It needs to be used to update the database content before you can change to the master_2020 version. You will need to update the information in the config/config.php file for the database. You can get this info from the config/config.ini file on your existing system, It might be necessary to enclose the database password in double quotes if it has special characters.

Once this setup is in place you can access SI from your browser. If it is set up correctly for database access, you will get the update screen that shows you a list of updates to apply. If not set up correctly, you will get a message that you need to create your database. In this case, check the settings in config/config.php file and try again.

The master_2019.2 update is important. It contains a change to add foreign key support to the database. All updates prior to this one will apply but the foreign key update can stop if it encounters orphaned records. This situation needs to be handled on a case by case basis.

For example, one user had multiple domain ID’s in his setup and this caused the the update to stop reporting records with orphaned ID’s. Other examples are orphaned si_invoice_items records or orphaned si_cron or si_cron_log records. The domain required the missing domain record to be added to the si_user_domain table. The later issues probably need to orphaned records to be deleted. Whatever is required, you need to address the issues and then access SI again so the update process completes.

Once he master_2019.2 update completes, you can update to master_2020. You can get all the needed update information via the Version Update Process link on the left menu.

Hope this all works out for you.

Lapi
    Participant

Hello R Rowley!

It was a very interesting challenge and finally everything worked as I hoped!

The forum is very helpful as it contains some of the direct answers to issues or helps finding our own by cross referencing…

The improvements offered in the 2020 version are very significant and useful.

Thank you very much for your guidance and brilliant achievements!

Kindest regards,

All the best.

Claude

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.